Rear Differential Services Melbourne FL
Our in-house experts across each and every one of our advanced differential shops are professionally trained. So you can rest assured that your custom differential repair and remanufacturing solution was done right the first time.
- When you turn a corner in your vehicle, the outside wheels have a slightly longer distance to travel than the inside wheels. Therefore, they are turning faster than the inside wheels. Your vehicle’s Differential is what makes this possible! The differential allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds without binding or hopping.
- On rear wheel drive vehicles the differential is located on the rear axle. The trans-axle completes this function for a front wheel drive vehicle. And all-wheel drive vehicles have differentials located on both drive axles as well as a center differential (Transfer Case) to make up for speed differences between the front and rear.
- The power from your engine is transferred through to the differentials. The differential fluid cools, lubricates and protects the gears from damage. Your vehicles manufacturer will most likely recommend replacing this fluid at a set mileage to help ensure that your differentials do not wear out prematurely. It is also important to have your differentials inspected for leaks.
- Low differential fluid will cause the differential to run hot and cause damage to the gears. When the differential is damaged you will hear noise coming from your axle and should bring your vehicle in as soon as possible. If you continue to drive your vehicle for too long the differential will seize up while you are driving and may cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
- You can be assured that our Rear Differential Services Melbourne FL are inspecting your vehicle for differential leaks every time we see you! And we will remind you when it is time to service your differential fluid. Your safety is our #1 priority.
Trouble Shooting Rear Differentials
- Diagnostic Troubleshooting
Differential Installation & Replacement
Front & Rear Differential Overhaul
Remove/Replace or Custom Repair
Ring & Pinion Replacement
Melbourne FL Rear Differential Repair Services
- The differential is responsible for transferring engine power to the wheels. It also compensates for and adjusts to the differences in wheel speed as your vehicle moves through turns. When your vehicle navigates a turn, the inside wheel turns slower than the outside wheel, which has to turn faster in order to keep pace with the inside wheel. The differential allows the wheels to turn at different speeds while maintaining control. A vehicle without a differential would hop and bump along the pavement for an unstable, shaky ride. Four wheel drive vehicles are equipped with a differential in front and back, while rear wheel drive vehicles are equipped with a differential in back. A front wheel drive’s differential, called the transaxle because of the functional combination of the front axle and transmission, is located between the front wheels. All-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with a differential between both the front and rear wheels with a transfer case between them. The case adjusts for speed differences between the front and rear wheels. In all vehicle applications, the differential is primarily responsible for routing and regulating power between wheels.
Maintain Your Transmission
Whether your car or truck has four-wheel drive, front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive, your vehicle has a differential that experiences heavy wear and tear. When scheduling a differential repair service, you should consider where you drive most often and how much time your vehicle spends traversing particular types of terrain. Tougher terrain—like dirt roads, unpaved or gravel roads—and extreme driving can have a heavier impact on the life of your vehicle’s differential. Maintenance for differentials will differ from vehicle to vehicle. As part of your normal car maintenance schedule, a differential fluid change can positively impact the safety and health of your vehicle. Noise coming from your vehicle’s differential can be a sign of insufficient lubricant or worn gears and bearings due to regular wear and tear. At the first sign of trouble, contact us so we can quickly diagnose and correct the issue. Rear Differential Services Melbourne FL
Heat from friction will gradually cause the differential fluid to break down, making it harder to keep the differential properly lubricated. Degraded differential fluid causes poor differential performance, excessive noise, and disproportionate wear. In severe causes, old fluid will eventually cause a differential breakdown, if not a complete differential failure, which means that your entire differential system will need to be replaced. Replacing an entire differential system is costly and can be avoided with routine maintenance as indicated by your owner’s manual, which will provide you with specific intervals for servicing your differential. Depending on your needs, when you undergo a differential service, various components of your differential system will be checked and possibly repaired or replaced in order to keep your vehicle running efficiently. Many vehicles need a properly working differential system for the smoothest ride possible. While all vehicles have some variation of a differential system, the location of the differential depends on the drive type of the vehicle. The differential system delivers power to the wheels while allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds. As your vehicle maneuvers through a turn, each wheel on the car travels a different distance. The two wheels on the outside of the turn travel a farther distance than the two wheels on the inside, and the back wheels cover a different distance than the front wheels. The differential permits the vehicle to complete turns easily despite these differences. Differential fluid keeps the differential system running smoothly by reducing heat and resistance caused by moving parts.